The Khorgos International Center for Border Cooperation (hereinafter the Center) is a unique joint project of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the People’s Republic of China implemented within the framework of the new Nurly Zhol economic policy and the Silk Road Economic Belt strategy which has no analogues in the world.
The uniqueness of the project is below:
- A single territory consisting of the Kazakh and Chinese parts on which a 30-day visa-free regime applies for both citizens of Kazakhstan and China and third countries.
- Free movement of people, goods and transport between the Chinese and Kazakhstani parts of the Center.
- A visitor from the PRC has the right to daily export duty free goods worth 8,000 yuan from the territory of the Center.
- A visitor from the Republic of Kazakhstan has the right once a month to export duty free from the Center territory purchased goods worth 500 euros and weighing up to 25 kg.
- Ready engineering infrastructure.
Exemption from taxes and customs duties.
The center is located in the southeast of the Republic of Kazakhstan on the border territory with the People’s Republic of China in the Panfilov district of Almaty region.
The free movement of people, goods and transport between the Kazakh and Chinese parts is ensured by the “Special Transition” passing through the state border of the two countries.
The area of the Center is 608 hectares.
In order to improve the investment climate in 2017 by Decree of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated October 6, No. 624, the status of a Special Economic Zone was assigned.